Author Notes: This is a favorite of mine for serving at wine tastings. Sometimes I serve is on top of greens as a first course. It is simple and quick to make. The crust is very flaky and embedded with bits of smokey bacon. It tastes great just out of the oven or room temperature. —dymnyno
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
cups all purpose flour
cups cold, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
tablespoons ice water
tablespoon white vinegar
4 slices smoked bacon
Blue Cheese Filling
teaspoons whole milk
cup heavy cream
1 whole egg (large)
2 egg yolks
ounces blue cheese, crumbled
teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the bacon until very crispy , and then crumble it into tiny pieces.
- Mix together the flour, butter, egg, water, vinegar, and bacon bits. Do not worry about mixing the butter into the mix too much. (I use a heavy fork, but you can use a food processor).
- Since this recipe makes more that you need, save the rest for another tart. You will need about 2/3 of this recipe.
- Roll the dough to fit into an eleven inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press it evenly and up the sides of the tart pan.
- Blind bake the crust at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- For the Blue Cheese Filling: Mix together the milk,cream, egg ,egg yolks, blue cheese and pepper and pour into the crust.
- Bake about 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees until set.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Asked to Bring to Every Gathering