Author Notes: I came up with this tart when I needed a beautiful but easy dessert that would travel well to a party. The decadence of the chocolate and strawberry combo and the elegance of the layered berries makes this tart look much more complicated than it is. Mmm! —devoniott
For the crust:
cups graham cracker crumbs
tablespoons butter, melted
cup dark chocolate chips
For the filling:
- Thoroughly stir together graham crackers, sugar, and butter. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9" tart pan or a pie plate. Bake at 375 F for 7 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Put chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is smooth and melted. Pour chocolate into crust and spread around evenly. Use the back of a spoon to 'paint' chocolate up the sides of the crust. Chill until chocolate is set, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and stem the strawberries. Mash enough of them to make 1 cup of pulp. In a saucepan, combine pulp, water, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Continue cooking an additional 2 minutes until sauce becomes translucent and thickens. Remove from heat and cool.
- Reserve about 10 strawberries to slice for top. Cut the rest into small and medium sized chunks. When glaze is cool, combine it with strawberry chunks in a bowl. Carefully spoon filling into crust, making top as flat as possible.
- Very thinly slice reserved strawberries lengthwise. Arrange slices on top of tart in concentric circles, starting from the outside and working to the center. Cover tart with foil and chill overnight in refrigerator.
- Slice tart and serve with fresh whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)