Author Notes: It is a variation of a recipe from a cooking class that I attended 25 years ago. I enjoy cinnamon with apples so I gave the recipe a more prominent cinnamon flavor in the crust and filling. —kalsign
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, frozen and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Crisco, cold
- 1 2/3 cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons Water
- 1/3 cup Apricot Jam, pureed in food processor or whisked
- Mix flour, salt, sugar and cinnamon in the food processor. Add butter and crisco and blend using on/off method. Mix water and egg yolk in a small bowl. Add through feed tube while food processor machine is running. Use on/off method to combine mixture.
- Form dough into a ball by hand. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and fit into a 10" false bottom tart pan. Prick dough and line with buttered aluminum foil. Fill pan with pie weights.
- Bake tart crust in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights and bake for another 5-10 minutes until lightly colored. Cool tart and paint crust with a thick coating of pureed apricot jam
Cinnamon Apple Almond Filling
- 1/2 cup Whole almonds (with skin)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon Salt
- 3 Granny Smith or Pippin Apples, peeled, quartered and rubbed with lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Lemon (for rubbing apples)
- Pulverize almonds in the food processor. Add sugar and egg yolks and process until thick and pale yellow. Blend in cinnamon and salt. Remove mixture to a medium bowl.
- Shred the apples using shred disc in same food processor bowl just used for almond mixture. Combine shredded apples with the almond mixture in the bowl.
- Pour mixture into the tart pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Carefully stir butter into the filling to incorporate. Raise the oven temperature to 375 degree and bake tart for another 20 minutes.
- Cool until warm. Reheat, if prepared in advance. Top with vanilla ice cream with a dash of cinnamon or whipped cream flavored with vanilla extract, Calvados (apple flavored) or Amaretto (almond flavored) liquer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)