I was baking this pie for many years.
It comes out very tasty and looks different and original than any pies I ever seen or tasted.
The pie could be made with any fruit (pears, apricots, plums or cherries).
My favorite is sour cherries, but they have a very short season and the frozen ones are to wet.
I like to cook and bake all my life. I have a huge collection of recipes that were left me by my mother and aunt, I use to watch them and many times we cooked or baked together for different occasions.
This is the first time that I am submitting a recipe for a contest.
8 to 10
Ingredients for the dough:2 cups all purpose flour,2 sticks cold butter,5 egg yolks,¾ cup sugar,¼ teaspoon salt,Zest of 1 lemon
all purpose flour
sticks cold butter
apples,ground cinnamon,freshly grated nutmeg, sugar,flour or cornstarch,Juice of 1 lemon
freshly grated nutmeg
flour or cornstarch
Juice of 1 lemon
In This Recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
1. Butter and cover the bottom and sides of a spring form with parchment paper.
2. Pill and core the apples, cut them each in half and then slice thinly.
3. In a bowl sprinkle the apples with lemon juice, 1 tablespoon sugar, flour or cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix gently to cover all the apples. Put aside.
4. Separate the eggs.
5. Cut the butter into small pieces.
6. In a mixing bowl add the flour, butter, egg yolks and sugar, salt and lemon zest.
7. With your finger tips crumble all the ingredients until everything is well combined to a uniform crumbled mixture. Refrigerate while preparing the fluffy filling.
8. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of Cream of Tartar and a pinch of salt. Slowly add sugar and continue until stiff picks forms. Fold in gently in three or four portions to the almond flour, add the almond or vanilla extract.
9. Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbled mixture on the bottom of the spring form then nicely lay out all the apples.
10. Cover with the fluffy filling, top with the remaining crumbled mixture.
11. Bake in the middle rack of the oven. After 15 minutes lower the temperature to 350 degrees. It usually takes one hour to bake. If the top browns to fast, cover the last 15 or 20 minutes with a round piece of parchment paper or foil.
12. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack.