If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You cannot beat this blast of compatible flavors-- it's a home run hit for special occasions, dinner, lunch, or just casual family time. It's a melt-in-your mouth comfort food that I created several years ago for my book club, and a recipe for which I am frequently mobbed at potlucks! It's larger than most tarts-- it fills a baking sheet, and therefore it's a wonderful choice for a large crowd. Need it smaller? No problem-- it can be cut in half to fill a 14-inch round tart pan. It makes a killer appetizer, too! —JoniHilton
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, chopped
- 8 tablespoons cold water
- 2 pounds leeks, chopped, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pears, peeled and sliced
- 8 ounces brie cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups half & half
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, stir flour with half the salt, then cut in shortening and 8 Tbsp. of the butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Stir in cold water, form dough into a ball, wrap with plastic and chill.
- Saute rinsed leeks in olive oil and remaining butter, salt, and pepper, in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender, about 15 minutes. While leeks cook, roll out dough on a floured surface and press onto bottom and sides of a baking sheet (jellyroll pan). Prick with a fork, fill with pie weights or dry beans, and bake 15 minutes. Remove weights and bake another 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees. Spread leeks over cooked crust. Tuck in sliced pears and brie pieces. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with half & half, then pour over leek/pear/cheese mixture. Bake 45 minutes or until filling is set and golden brown. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)