If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm terrible when it comes to eating breakfast during the week. I was looking for a healthy muffin recipe so my husband and I could have easy on-the-go breakfast during the week. I came across this Lemon-Raspberry Muffin recipe on Eating Well (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lemon_raspberry_muffins.html) and made a few updates to it. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use any type of frozen berry you want based on your preferences. I found blueberries are my favorite, but I also like strawberries. Use frozen berries rather than fresh - they are less expensive, and have the same great flavor and health benefits. —ModernSwap
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (white, wheat, or 50/50)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or a mixture)
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Peel rind off lemon with a vegetable peeler, avoiding white pith. Place rind and sugar into a small food processor and pulse until lemon is well chopped and blended with sugar. Put lemon sugar into a medium bowl, and add buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla. Stir with whisk to mix and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour through salt) and then add wet ingredients to dry and stir with spatula to mix. Add frozen berries and gently fold into batter.
- Spray a muffin pan with oil and using a large spoon (I like my soup spoons for this part) scoop a spoonful of batter and place into each muffin cup. Bake for 25 minutes or until brown on top.
- Remove from oven and eat one or two while they are hot just to make sure they turned out ok :)
- Once cool, place them in a ziploc bag and store in the fridge - they'll last you all week!