Author Notes: This recipe has been in my repertoire for a long time. I like it because it comes out puffed and golden brown, and looks like a soufflé (but is much easier to prepare.) - Kukla
Food52 Review: This corn pudding was sublime. It came together easily. I used 5 large eggs because I didn't have extra-large. I did not use cream of tartar to beat the egg whites--I used the salt in the recipe instead. (If you add salt before you start, the egg whites beat up very quickly and you don't get that nasty cream of tartar taste.) I was concerned that it would need more sweetness or some kind of spice, but it was really excellent just the way I made it. (It took about 45 minutes in my fairly slow oven.) One request to Sally--she needs to add the lemon zest to the instructions--I was following the instructions carefully and forgot to add the lemon zest, which I'm sure would have made it even better. No matter, this is an amazing corn pudding, and I highly recommend it as an editors' pick. - drbabs —drbabs
- 1 pound fresh ricotta
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 extra large eggs room temperature (separated)
- 8 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 by 8 casserole; or glass baking dish.
- Separate the eggs
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt till soft picks forms, slowly add sugar and continue beating until stiff and shiny.
- In a mixing bowl stir egg yolks, ricotta, sour cream, lemon zest and salt.
- Mix together the cornmeal and flour till well combined and incorporate into the ricotta mixture.
- Gradually fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Transfer the batter to the baking dish, smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes depending on the oven.
- It comes out puffed and golden brown almost like a soufflé. Serve hot or room temperature.
- Ricotta in this Corn Pudding may be substitute with any soft and smooth cheese (Farmer's, goat, Mascarpone).
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta