If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This pasta recipe is a favourite in our house and you really don't have to be to exact with the quantities. Bacon, fried onions and a mix of cheeses makes this the ultimate comfort food. You can use any mix of cheeses you like or just cheddar if that's all you have. I sometimes add some red peppers I have fried with the onions, or peas and corn. It also tastes just as good if you skip adding the egg yolks to the sauce. —jen_c
- 3 cups pasta
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Make the white sauce using half of the butter
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl and stir in 1/4 cup of the sauce whisking all of the time. Add back into the white sauce.
- Add the cheeses to the sauce and cook untill melted.
- Fry the bacon and then remove to a plate and chop.
- Add the remaining butter to the frying pan along with the tablespoon of grease from the fried bacon. Fry the onions in this untill soft.
- Add fried onions and bacon to the sauce and season to taste.
- Cook the pasta for half the amount of time it says on the packet then add to the sauce.
- Put in an oven dish and bake for 15-20 mins.