This pasta recipe is a favourite in our house and you really don't have to be to exact with the quantities. Bacon, fried onions and a mix of cheeses makes this the ultimate comfort food. You can use any mix of cheeses you like or just cheddar if that's all you have. I sometimes add some red peppers I have fried with the onions, or peas and corn. It also tastes just as good if you skip adding the egg yolks to the sauce. —jen_c
- Serves 4
onion, sliced thin
all purpose flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Make the white sauce using half of the butter
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl and stir in 1/4 cup of the sauce whisking all of the time. Add back into the white sauce.
- Add the cheeses to the sauce and cook untill melted.
- Fry the bacon and then remove to a plate and chop.
- Add the remaining butter to the frying pan along with the tablespoon of grease from the fried bacon. Fry the onions in this untill soft.
- Add fried onions and bacon to the sauce and season to taste.
- Cook the pasta for half the amount of time it says on the packet then add to the sauce.
- Put in an oven dish and bake for 15-20 mins.