If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Eataly's Pancetta and Provolone bread has followed me home. While in NYC over Christmas, my Husband and I fell in love with this bread and have been missing it ever since! I'm not an expert bread maker, but I'm gaining courage in this department. Courage, I tell you, is everything. Thanks to my Grandmother's Parker House rolls, monkeymom, AntoniaJames, thirschfelds's pocket rolls and pierino (for the no knead bread tip), I can now make my own version of this lil' gem and share it. Note: I subbed a 1/2 inch thick slice of prosciutto for pancetta, because I like the *leaner* version! In the end though, ham is ham, so go with your gut. I hope my instructions are clear, I'm learning as I go, as you do with bread... —TiggyBee
Makes one loaf
cups all purpose flour
1/4 -1/2 tsp dry active yeast
cups warm water
ounces prosciutto or pancetta, cubed
ounces smoked provolone, cubed
egg wash (optional) I did!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and with a wooden spoon, slowly add the warm water, until you get a semblance of dough.
- It will be rough looking, but that's okay. Cover the dough with cling wrap and let it rest overnight. After it's slept, it's going to look like a foamy mess, but you'll be on the right track. (promise)
- Add the pancetta or prosciutto and provolone to the foamy mess, flour your fingertips and dig in there with hands to mix it. Then, on a floured surface, dump the mess and roll it around until it doesn't stick. This is really a feel type of thing.
- In a large clean mixing bowl, place a clean dish towel and flour it. Place the dough in the towel, let rest for 2 hours and it should double in size. Preheat your oven to 400.
- Place the dutch oven over a low flame to preheat it and when heated, place the dough in it and bake for 30 minutes, covered. (don't worry about the shape it falls in, it'll look rustic) After 30 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes or so. After uncovered, optional egg wash will heighten the browning on top. If not, it'll still brown and be just as delicious!
- Place bread on a rack and allow to cool before cutting. (if you can wait that long!)