Author Notes: A beautiful dessert of dark chocolate and candied orange peels. —KitchenThymes
4 large oranges
8 ounces water
8 ounces sugar
16 ounces dark chocolate
In This Recipe
- Slice the ends off of the oranges, score the peel from one end to the other, and remove the peels off the oranges.
- Slice the peels into thin strips and trim the edges.
- Using a medium size pot, place the peels in boiling water and blanch them for a few minutes. Rinse the peels, and repeat this process a second time. This is done to remove the bitterness of the peels.
- Prepare the simple syrup by combining the water and sugar in a sauce pot. Bring the syrup to a simmer, place the peels in the pot, and simmer for 1 hour. Once the peels have cooked, remove them from the pot, and place on a rack to cool and drain.
- Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler. Dip the candied orange peels in the chocolate, remove them quickly.
- Store the orange peels in an airtight container.