If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I prefer dumplings made with semolina because (in comparing to those made with flour) they are puffy and light as a cloud. I also make (half of the recipe portion) tiny ones, and cook, and serve them in soups.
Here is a recipe that I like the most.
• 3 ½ cups of water (for soups) or milk (for serving as a mane dish)
• 1 cup semolina
• 2 tablespoons butter, plus 3 tablespoons browned butter for serving
• 5 large eggs room temperature
• 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or Basel (for cooked in soups)
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (for the mane dish)
- a. In a medium sauce pan bring water or milk, butter, sugar and salt to a simmer. b. Slowly pour semolina, while whisking, into the pan. When the semolina is incorporated, and there are no lumps, change the whisk to a wooden spoon. c. Cook constantly stirring for about 8 to 10 minutes.d. Take the pan of the stove, let it cool slightly, and then stir in the eggs (one at the time) like for the Pate Choux dough. e. When the dough is smooth and homogeneous, wet your hands in cold water, and form small canals or balls, lower to a pat with boiling slightly salted water. When the water comes back to a boil; turn down the flame to medium-low. f. When dumplings come up to the surface, cook them not more than for 5-7 minutes.
- g. In a small sauce pan slowly brown the 3 tablespoons butter. h. Cook in portions, don’t overcrowd the pat. Take the dumplings carefully out with a strainer, and gently shake of the excess water. i. Transfer dumplings to a pretty shallow bowl, and pour the browned butter over them. j. Serve immediately.
- I put on the table grated cheeses, such as good quality Parmesan, Gruyere, or blue cheese; in small nice sauce bowls sour cream or crème fraiche, and also macerated fresh berries,and preserves for my guests, ho likes the dumplings more as a dessert.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dumplings