I found this pie in my very old recipe- notebook.
My husband’s cosine gave it to me maybe 20 years ago.
I thought it must be beater because the white peat of the lemon is not removed.
O, how wrong I was! The combination of fresh lemons, sugar, candied lemon peel, and lemon extract is amazing. The dough for the crust, with the very cold yeast mixture is very good; flaky and puffed at the same time.
You may serve this pie for an afternoon tea, even for a weekend lunch or dinner dessert.
Ingredients for the dough:
• 1 envelope of Active Dry Yeast (1 envelope is ¼ oz)
• ½ cup of milk (a little wormer then room temperature)
• 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
• 2 sticks of butter; cold and cut in small pieces
• 4 cups of all purpose flour
• 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon of water ( for the egg wash)
• ¼ teaspoon of salt.
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest
• 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Ingredients for the filling:
• 2 large lemons ( peel on)
• 1½ cups of Baker’s Extra Fine Sugar
• 1 cup candied lemon peel
• 1 extra large egg room temperature
• Two teaspoons of pure lemon extract
In This Recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Butter and flour the bottom, and sides of a 12 by 7 ½ casseroles or glass baking dish.
1. In a cup, mix yeast, sugar, and milk; let it stay for 5 min. when it gets slightly foamy, put it in the freezer for15 minutes.2. In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt, and lemon zest a few times.3. Add the butter and pulse until it is crumbled, but so you can still see bits of butter.4. Take the yeast mixture out of the freezer and add it to the food processor.5. Pulse a few more times, until the dough comes together.6. Take out the dough and put it on a lightly floured surface. Divide it in to two equal portions, and wrap each portion separately in plastic wrap. Put it in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Directions for the filling:
Cut the lemons into ½ inch half-moon pieces and remove all the seeds. Place them in a food processor.Add the sugar, egg, and candied lemon peel into the food processor; add lemon extract.
Pulse until it’s smooth and well-mixed.
How to assemble the pie:
Take out the dough from refrigerator, and roll out one portion to a rectangle to fit the bottom, and half of the sides of the baking dish. Transfer to the baking dish. Take out the dough from refrigerator, and roll out one portion to a rectangle to fit the bottom, and half of the sides of the baking dish. Transfer to the baking dish. Roll out the second portion of the dough, and completely cover the top. Brash the top with the egg-wash
Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45 min.; or until it’s golden-brown.
If the top browns too quickly, cover lightly with a piece of tin foil.
Cool the pie on a wire rack.
Cut in diamond shape pieces, orange on a large rectangular platter.
Dust with powdered sugar.