If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In Europe, strawberry season started a few weeks ago! My French Cook fancies this fruit so much that she couldn't wait to come up with new ideas for colorful and tasty desserts. Strawberries are a healthy treat, whether they are served plain or with brown sugar, with cottage cheese or a creamy curd, or even with a drizzle of lemon juice. One piece of advice she gives to cooks-to-be: try to get organic strawberries, the regular ones are often loaded with pesticides and other chemicals.
When my wife has some time, she enjoys preparing a flavorful curd which she then uses to dress up verrines for the dessert. Verrines have been quite trendy here in Europe: they can be easily prepared, and you can come up with a creative and tasty set-up to impress your guests. Here the dessert was prepared for adult guests: the Cook used crème de cassis, a bit like Bailey's, only with blackcurrants. For children, she would have used blackcurrant syrup instead. she added some blueberries and off we go! It's a quick and easy recipe which only needs to be prepared a bit in advance to allow the curd to cool down in the fridge. —cookfromprovence
tablespoons blackcurrant or other red fruits syrup or cream
- Heat 35 cl of milk to boil.
- In a bowl, combine yolks and 70g sugar. Add the flour, whisk well, then add the 15 ml milk until you get a really smooth cream.
- Pour the boiling milk: it should drizzle over the cream. Stir gently. Pour the mix into the pot.
- Thicken over low heat, stirring constantly until it boils. Stir in 2 tablespoons crème de cassis (or black currant syrup, or red fruits syrup). Cool.
- When the curd is warm, pour it into 4 glasses. When the cream reaches room temperature, cover the glasses with plastic film and refrigerate.
blueberries and strawberries
tablespoons ice sugar
grounded cookies (I used speculoos, a Belgian cookie)
- Wash blueberries and strawberries. Cut the strawberries into small cubes.
- In a bowl, combine fruit with sugar and 2 tablespoons crème de cassis (or red fruit syrup). Place bowl in refrigerator.
- When it's time to serve: add a layer of fruit in the glasses or glass jars containing the curl. Cover with a thin layer of speculoos (or cookie) powder. Serve immediately.