Author Notes: This is reconstructed from a friend's memory of this dessert had while in Tuscany on vacation.
This is an espresso flavored granita, brewed very strong and slightly sweetened with sugar. It's frozen and then mashed up into little chunks. Served with lightly sweetened whipped cream, it's refreshing and quite a pick-me-up! —johnandelana
tablespoons espresso strength ground coffee
dash granulated sugar
cup heavy whipping cream
tablespoons confectioner's sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
- I boiled 3 cups water with about 1/8 cup of sugar in a pot.
- Once it was all heated up, I poured it into my French Press, waiting the appropriate amount of time (3-5 minutes), and then PRESSED.
- Pour the brewed coffee into a pan and pop it into the freezer.
- Break up the ice with a fork every half hour or so.
- Gather 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1 1/2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar and the vanilla extract. Put them in a mixing bowl and with a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the cream and sugar until it’s whipped and soft peaks form.
- Scoop some granita into a bowl or fancy glass (I used retro snow cone holders) and top with whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee