If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You know the saying "just enough bad to be good"? This is so bad it is addictive. I always keep a couple loaves of brioche bread in my freezer so they dry out a bit and become the perfect "old" bread for this pudding. You can use store bought Nutella or I have included a recipe for making "nochella"... a recipe for from a blog called Su Good Sweets. —dymnyno
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces Nochella/Nutella
- 3 teaspoons instant espresso coffee ( I use Medaglia d' Oro)
- I loaf brioche bread, 5 brioche rolls or challah bread (choice)
- whipping cream
- NOCHELLA INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups of raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- about 1/4 cup hazelnut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slice the loaf or rolls into thin slices and spread half of the slices with Nutella/ Nochella. Press the slices together and cut into 1 inch squares. Arrange tightly in a buttered 6 X 9 ovenproof dish. See bottom for Nochella recipe.
- To make the custard, heat the cream and sugar until the sugar is dissolved . Then add 2 teaspoons of instant espresso coffee and stir. Remove from the heat.
- Temper the cream and the eggs.
- Pour over the brioche squares, while pressing down on them so that it is all soaked with custard.
- Place into a larger ovenproof dish(like a casserole) and fill with hot water half way up the sides and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. (careful that the top doesn't burn) This method is called a bain-marie.
- Serve with unsweetened whipped cream and sprinkle with the rest of the espresso coffee. (the unsweetened cream is a nice foil to the super sweet pudding)
- To make the NOCHELLA: Roast the hazelnuts on a baking pan in a 350 degree oven. (shake a bit after 15 minutes) Using a tea towel, rub as much of the skins off as you can.
- Process until they become a paste...hazelnut butter.
- Add sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add enough oil by drizzling slowly into the processor until it becomes the right consistency.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Made with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee