Author Notes: I had my first croque madame in a cafe across from the tuileries (not sure about the spelling...i'm no good with french--the language at least!). My girlfriend ordered the croque monsieur. i predicted that the waitress would remark that the croque madame was for me, the monsieur, and the croque monsieur was fro the madame, my girlfriend. I was right--it was a very funny human moment that crossed the language barrier. I've loved croques ever since,especially the croque madam! —Griffin
cup Heavy Cream
pound Gruyere Cheese
piece Thick-Cut Deli Ham
tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place butter in saucepan and melt over medium heat
- Add flour and mix into melted butter to form a roux
- Add heavy cream and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly melt in shredded gruyere a handful at a time until all the cheese is melted.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter until hot.
- Toast two slices of brioche in the skillet on both sides until golden brown.
- Place slice of ham on one of the brioche toasts.
- Spoon 2 to tablespoons of bechamel over the ham.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to the same skillet used to toast the bread and heat between medium and medium high.
- Fry the egg in the skillet. Usually I flip the egg once to seal it on both sides, but sunny-side-up is great too!
- Season the egg with salt and pepper to taste and place on top of the cheese layer of the sandwich.
- Top with another spoonful of bechamel, then the second piece of toast.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the sandwich and dig in!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best "Ham and Cheese"