If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we’re going to keep with the turkey theme of one of our recent posts and go step-by-step in teaching you how to roast one of the most delicious Thanksgiving turkeys you have ever had using your Caja China style Roasting Box. We’ve done this in our family, and it is a huge hit every single time! The reality is, once you’ve done it once you will realize how simple of a process it is. Most folks in our family call our box “La Caja Asadora” which is the Spanish translation for “The Roasting Box.” I’ve always been interested in the etymology, because it gives us clues into the different cultures and their relationship to food. While there are many names, the rules for cooking tend to be the same. And keep in mind, you don’t have to cook just one! Cajun Microwave style roasters are designed to hold a heavy payload! Now, on to the reason you clicked on this article in the first place. I present to you, Caja China Style Thanksgiving Roast Turkey!
For information and pricing on Caja China roasters and accessories visit http://www.shoplatintouch.... —Latin Touch
Serves: serves a crowd
- Place turkey on top of the rack, breast down if cooking whole, or skin down if cooking split. Attach top rack using the 4 S-Hooks.
- Place turkey inside the caja china roaster, skin or breast down, (attach probe from wired thermometer or insert meat thermometer here should you have one).
- Cover your La Caja China style Roasting Box with the ash pan and charcoal grid.
- Add 15 lbs. of charcoal and light up.
- Once lit (20-25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid of your caja china.
- Cooking time starts right now.
- After one hour, open the box by removing the complete set of ash pan and grid together and place it on top of the long handles.
- Now flip the turkey(s) over, skin or breast side up.
- After one hour (2nd hour) add 10 lbs. of charcoal.
- After one hour (3rd hour) add 10 lbs. of charcoal.
- Do not add any more charcoal; continue cooking the turkey until you reach the desired temperature reading on the thermometer of 175 f. Should you not have a thermometer, check the turkey after approximately 30 minutes. Cook until desired tenderness.
- Carve and enjoy with those you love most!