If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A quick, frothy coffee which doesn't require any gadgets just a spoon and a mug to prepare.This is the most popular way of drinking coffee in north indian homes. - SinfullySpicy —SinfullySpicy
Food52 Review: This couldn't be easier! You can have your afternoon caffeine fix in the form of a creamy, sweet, and delicious mug of café au lait-style coffee in just a few short minutes. I used Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso powder and superfine sugar, and the coffee-sugar mixture quickly transformed into a luxurious, frosting-esque, cream-colored concoction. A couple of additions of whole milk plus a short stint in the microwave gives you a cup of frothy coffee goodness. A dash of cinnamon and you're whisked away to North India. Thanks to SinfullySpicy, this has just become my new afternoon coffee habit! - hardlikearmour —hardlikearmour
Coffee Sugar Mix [Makes about 1/4 cup paste]
tablespoons instant coffee powder
tablespoons granulated white sugar [adjust to taste]
tablespoon cold milk + a little more [if required]
Per cup of Coffee you will need:
tablespoon above coffee sugar mix [or adjust to how strong or mild you like your coffee]
cup luke warm whole milk [substitute with half n half or any flavored creamer]
cup cold whole milk [substitute with half n half or any flavored creamer]
Cocoa powder, ground cinnamon to sprinkle [optional]
- You will need a tall mug & a metal spoon to whip up the coffee sugar mix.In a dry, tall and heavy mug, tip in the instant coffee powder and sugar together.
- Mix well and add milk just enough to moisten the mix [about 1 tbsp].In case you need more, add slowly.The purpose of milk here is just to give you a base moist paste to start working with.
- The mix will be dark brown at first.With the help of spoon, start beating the mix rigorously.It will start turning pale and pasty.
- Keep on beating the mix till it becomes pale brown and the sugar has dissolved.The mix will be thick and will flow like a ribbon.
- You know when the mix is ready and thick enough when even on inverting the cup, it wont drip.Once done, the mix with be a viscous paste.It is ready to use now.
- Tip in a generous tablespoon of coffee-sugar mix into a “microwave” safe cup.Pour about 1/2 cup of luke warm milk.Microwave on high for 20-25 seconds.
- Take out and stir thoroughly with a spoon to dissolve any lumps etc.This is an important step.You need to get a smooth coffee-milk mix before adding more milk. Top up with remaining 1/2 cup of cold milk and stir gently to combine everything. [Note: Mixing milk too rigorously will reduce the froth in the final cup]
- Micro again for about 30-40 seconds or till you see froth rising up.Your coffee is ready.Top with ground cinnamon or cocoa powder.Serve warm with muffins or cookies.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee