A quick, frothy coffee which doesn't require any gadgets just a spoon and a mug to prepare.This is the most popular way of drinking coffee in north indian homes. - SinfullySpicy
A quick, frothy coffee which doesn't require any gadgets just a spoon and a mug to prepare.This is the most popular way of drinking coffee in north indian homes. - SinfullySpicy—SinfullySpicy
Food52 Review: This couldn't be easier! You can have your afternoon caffeine fix in the form of a creamy, sweet, and delicious mug of café au lait-style coffee in just a few short minutes. I used Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso powder and superfine sugar, and the coffee-sugar mixture quickly transformed into a luxurious, frosting-esque, cream-colored concoction. A couple of additions of whole milk plus a short stint in the microwave gives you a cup of frothy coffee goodness. A dash of cinnamon and you're whisked away to North India. Thanks to SinfullySpicy, this has just become my new afternoon coffee habit! - hardlikearmour —hardlikearmour
Coffee Sugar Mix [Makes about 1/4 cup paste]
tablespoons instant coffee powder
tablespoons granulated white sugar [adjust to taste]
tablespoon cold milk + a little more [if required]
Per cup of Coffee you will need:
tablespoon above coffee sugar mix [or adjust to how strong or mild you like your coffee]
cup luke warm whole milk [substitute with half n half or any flavored creamer]
cup cold whole milk [substitute with half n half or any flavored creamer]
Cocoa powder, ground cinnamon to sprinkle [optional]
- You will need a tall mug & a metal spoon to whip up the coffee sugar mix.In a dry, tall and heavy mug, tip in the instant coffee powder and sugar together.
- Mix well and add milk just enough to moisten the mix [about 1 tbsp].In case you need more, add slowly.The purpose of milk here is just to give you a base moist paste to start working with.
- The mix will be dark brown at first.With the help of spoon, start beating the mix rigorously.It will start turning pale and pasty.
- Keep on beating the mix till it becomes pale brown and the sugar has dissolved.The mix will be thick and will flow like a ribbon.
- You know when the mix is ready and thick enough when even on inverting the cup, it wont drip.Once done, the mix with be a viscous paste.It is ready to use now.
- Tip in a generous tablespoon of coffee-sugar mix into a “microwave” safe cup.Pour about 1/2 cup of luke warm milk.Microwave on high for 20-25 seconds.
- Take out and stir thoroughly with a spoon to dissolve any lumps etc.This is an important step.You need to get a smooth coffee-milk mix before adding more milk. Top up with remaining 1/2 cup of cold milk and stir gently to combine everything. [Note: Mixing milk too rigorously will reduce the froth in the final cup]
- Micro again for about 30-40 seconds or till you see froth rising up.Your coffee is ready.Top with ground cinnamon or cocoa powder.Serve warm with muffins or cookies.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee