A friend I stayed with in Tuscany made the most delicious tiramisu I have ever tried. I wanted to fuse her creation with a little inspiration from my sister, who makes a tasty chocolate and vanilla custard pie that she tops with crumbled pieces of amaretti cookies.
This recipe will please the picky and health conscious, being that it is wheat free, egg free, light, and not so sweet but rich in flavor. —dianana
- Serves 4-6
strong brewed coffee
sweet marsala or brandy
Heavy Whipping Cream
Bar of dark chocolate, finely grated
honey or agave to sweeten coffee and whipping cream
- Brew a cup of finely ground strong coffee using a French press, stove top moka coffee maker, or espresso machine. Add in a dash of honey or agave and let it cool. Add the shot of sweet marsala or brandy when it has cooled, and stir.
- While the coffee mixture is cooling whip up the heavy cream by hand or by electric mixer on a low speed setting. Fold in honey or agave to taste. Mix the mascarpone cheese so that it is soft enough to blend with the whipped cream, and then fold into the whipped cream gently.
- Grate the bar of dark chocolate with a microplane or cheese grater and set aside.
- Using a casserole dish or individual serving dishes layer the ingredients starting with the coffee mixture, amaretti, splashes of more coffee mixture, cream/mascarpone mixture, and grated chocolate. On the topmost layer, add cocoa powder and grated chocolate.
- Cover and place in a refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Serve with a coffee drink or a small glass of sweet marsala.