After stopping in Newport Beach one spring day, I stumbled upon a little cafe selling takeout - I loved a shrimp couscous salad, and this is my version of it. —aussiefoodie
- Serves 8
uncooked, peeled shrimp
1 1/3 cups
fresh squeezed lemon juice
In This Recipe
- Add the bulgur wheat with 1 cup cold water to a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil, then turn down low and cover and simmer for 12 - 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, saute the shrimp in another fry pan, in a little butter and extra olive oil, until just pink.
- Remove the shrimp from pan, cut into bite sized pieces (ensuring all shell is removed) and set aside.
- Add the couscous to the pan, and saute in additional olive oil for about 5 minutes or until golden. Slowly add 1 3/4 cups boiling water, cover and simmer over medium heat until water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Add the diced tomato to the pan when the coucous is almost cooked.
- Combine in a large bowl the bulgur wheat, couscous & tomato and the diced shrimp. Add the dried cranberries (chopped finely) and the shredded herbs. Toss all the combine. Toss with the dressing (lemon juice & olive) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with flaked almonds and serve immediately at room temperature, or chill until required and serve cold.