If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love this sandwich because of its tastes and textures. Light, airy brioche toasted, creamy tangy aioli, salty hams, and crispy gruyere cheese. As for variations, I will say the sandwich is just as tasty with any good hearty bread (e.g. Pain au Levain) or sour baguette. And if you are not up for making aioli, a good quality mustard can be subsituted. —dhaderle
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 - 1 lemon, fresh sqeezed juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pieces brioche, sliced for sandwich (approx. 1/2")
- 3 pieces ham, thinly sliced (deli or black forest)
- 3 pieces proscuitto, thinly sliced (Parma, San Daniele, or Spanish variety Jambon Serrano)
- 10 pieces gruyere cheese, sliced thin with vegetable peeler or cheese slicer
- red onion, thinly sliced
- Gruyere crisps: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place sliced cheese on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Aioli: I use a cuisinart food processer to make the aioli, but you could also whisk this by hand in a medium size bowl. Separate the egg yolk, discard egg white. Place the egg yolk in the cuisinart with a splash of water. Pulse until smooth.
- With the cuisinart on, slowly stream / drizzle olive oils into the egg yolk. Adding the oil too fast will not allow the mixture to emulsify / thicken properly. Once the olive oils have been incorporated it should resemble a thick mayonnaise.
- Pulse in the salt and garlic. Pulse lemon juice a little at a time. Vary the amount of lemon juice to get the correct consistency. Add enough lemon juice to thin the aioli to be spreadable, but not a soupy liquid.
- Sandwich: Toast brioche to lightly browned. Remove gruyere crisps by lifting up the parchment and pushing upwards. They will likely break into pieces which is fine (feel free to snack on a some too as you will have extra!). Spread a generous amount of aioli on both pieces of brioche. On one brioche side, add sliced ham, proscuitto, and gruyere crisps, alternating each component. Top with red onions and second brioche side. Serve sandwich halved.