Author Notes: I make these biscuits for my grandaughter''s birthday as I think all children like chocolate and banana. In general, cookies in Europe don't have as much sugar and butter as the traditional American ones, and these are an example. I use dried banana slices and chocolate chips that are added when the dough is finished. After I incorporate the whole egg which I beat well, I prefer to work the dough as little as possible so I keep the dough light and the cookies grow while cooking. —Maria Teresa Jorge
Serves: about 20 biscuits
ounces all purpose flour
ounces fine sugar
ounces butter soft cut in pieces
teaspoon baking powder
tablespoons chocolate chips
tablespoons dried banana in slices cut up in small pieces
whole slices of fried banana for decoration
- Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter and the sugar until creamy and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape the dough down from the sides, add the whole egg and beat well, about 5 minutes or until it becomes very fluffy.
- Scrape the dough down from the sides again and add the sifted flour, salt and baking powder quickly so it just beats enough to incorporate the flour. Add the chocolate chips and the banana cut up in small pieces and incorporate quickly. Try to beat as little as possible.
- Scrape the dough form the bowl and paddle attachment, roll into a ball and cover with plastic film. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF and put rack in the middle position.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make a small ball with some dough, about a tablespoon of dough, roll it in the palm of your hand and put on the lined baking tray. Keep the biscuits a little apart as they will grow a bit. When you have finished all the cookies, break the slices of dried banana in the middle and stick half on each cookie.
- If you want to make 2 kinds of biscuits with the same dough, just roll the dough out and cut with a cookie cutter but these you don't decorate with the banana slice as they are too thin to hold it.
- Cook in the oven until golden.
- Biscuits keep well in an air-tight tin.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cookie