The basis for this recipe comes from the Baking with Julia series. An old favorite and standby. These cookies have a very deep chocolate flavor, and they love a good cup of coffee, or a tall glass of milk. —SW Food Works
- Serves 16 2-2,5 oz Cookies
Packed Brown Sugar
Granulated White Sugar
Pure Vanilla Extract
All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
In This Recipe
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a microwave-safe container, melt the butter on high for 10-15 seconds.
- Stir in the 8 oz. of chocolate and return to the microwave 10 to 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each turn until smooth.
- Meanwhile, toast the slivered almonds and anise seeds together in one small pan until the almonds take a little color and the aroma is pleasant
- Let the chocolate and almond/anise seeds rest while you measure out the dry ingredients (cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder) into a bowl and whisk with a fork or whisk to combine and set aside
- Turn out the melted chocolate into a mixing bowl, or the bowl of your standing mixer
- Measure in both of the sugars, and mix on a lower speed until well combined
- On a low speed, incorporate one egg at a time
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well
- Stop mixing, and add the combined dry ingredients all at once. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine the dry ingredients fully
- Finally, incorporate the almond, anise, chocolate chips, and cocoa nibs
- As you portion out the dough, you’ll want to flatten the cookies slightly to somewhere between 3/4 and 1/2 of an inch.
- Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 9 minutes, rotating the tray after 5 minutes for an even bake
- Remove to a wire rack and let cool before enjoying