Author Notes: This recipe is a fusion of many versions of grilled octopus I have had over the years and I finally decided to create one of my own. —christo
- wash octopus
- place octopus in a pot with stock, onions, garlic, finely ground oregano salt & pepper, and a shot of vermouth set the dial to "low" and let it cook for oh I dont know - 3 hours or so
- Completely reduced in size, firmed up yet incredibly tender I let it sit in the ice box over night in the poaching liquid.
- Portioned out and put on skewers with a little extra oregano sprinkled on to create more smokiness and a spritz of olive oil to help it along the octopus is now ready for the grill.
- Flashed on a hot grill enough to warm it through and impart a nice smoky flavor from both the coals and the smoldering oregano I plated it up with a little garlic chile sauce, some extra virgin olive oil, course grain sea salt, some lemon wedges and bread that was spread with olive oil and also toasted on the grill.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe