If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Apple Pie is by nature, a dessert, albeit an inexpensive, frugal dessert. But what happens when you up the nutritional ante? Frugal Apple Pie For Dinner is chock full of fresh, nutritious ingredients like apples, flax seed, whole wheat, and lots of healthy spices. Serve with a chunk of sharp cheddar...and you've got dinner on the cheap. —Out of the Box Food
Whole Wheat & Flax Pie Crust
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 16 tablespoons cold butter, cubed into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Before beginning, place cut butter and mixing bowl in freezer to chill (approx 10 min). This will help keep butter cold and increase chances for a flaky crust.
- Whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, flax meal, cinnamon, and sea salt in mixing bowl.
- Add cubes of butter and cut into the flour with the pastry cutter. (Do steps 1 and 2 in food processor if needed.) Do not over mix. Butter should be the size of peas.
- Put mixing bowl back in freezer for 10 minutes to chill, then remove and gently stir in water. Do not over mix. Dough is ready when a small amount sticks together when squeezed.
- Turn dough out onto smooth surface and divide into eight pieces.
- Using the heal of your hand, press dough forward a couple times to distribute the fats. Do not overwork the dough.
- Scrape all dough back together and divide into 2 equal pieces. Place each piece on a sheet of plastic wrap. Press down to form a 4-5? disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to use.
Apple Pie Filling
- 4 pounds apples, (about 11 medium), peeled, cored and chopped into large chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In the large mixing bowl, toss roughly chopped apples with cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, lemon juice and brown sugar (if using).
- Roll dough between two sheets of parchment until thin. Remove top sheet of parchment, place exposed side of dough into pie plate then remove bottom sheet of parchment. Press to fit into pie plate. Leaving approximately 1/2? of dough over the edge of the pie dish, trim any additional excess dough.
- Pour apple mixture into pie dish.
- Roll out second disc of dough between two sheets of parchment until thin. Remove top sheet of parchment and place exposed side over the filling. Remove bottom sheet of parchment. Leaving approximately 1? of dough over the edge of the pie dish, fold the top layer of dough under the edge of the bottom layer and press the edges together. Crimp edges decoratively.
- Brush egg wash over top crust of pie.
- Using a sharp paring knife, slice six diagonal (or decorative) slits into top of pie dough to release steam while cooking.
- Place pie dish on foil-lined baking sheet and put into preheated oven. (baking sheet will catch any juices that may overflow)
- Bake for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 375 degrees, cover edges of pie crust and bake 35-55 minutes more or until browned and bubbling.
- Cool to warm or room temperature. Serve with a chunk of sharp cheddar cheese as a delicious (and nutritious) dinner.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner