If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: SPAM is such an integral part of the Hawaiian diet that I can’t believe the state flag doesn’t include a picture of a can waving in that tropical breeze. This concoction originated as military food and the connection goes back to our naval bases back before Hawaii attained statehood.
Of course the hard thing is to make it taste like food. It’s cheap and nutritious in a way but still…SPAM can be nasty stuff. Nonetheless no bar is too low for Pierino to limbo when it comes to nickel and diming. Still, we do want to deliver something that tastes good and might be edible to the hungry and poor. To even my own surprise this turned out to be a success.
half of one 14 ounce can SPAM leftover in the fridge from your egg breakfast
cup sweet onion such as maui
tablespoon soy sauce
cup crushed pineapple
Mexican style crema or sour cream (optional)
For table condiments: a vinegar based hot sauce such as Tabasco or piri piri (Portuguese hot sauce)
- Chop the onion and cut the SPAM into very small dice
- Heat up a skillet and add a very thin film of peanut oil. Add a few drops of chili oil to the pan.
- Add the onions and SPAM and stir until the onion is translucent and the SPAM is lightly colored.
- Stir in the soy sauce.
- In a second dry skillet begin heating the tortillas.
- On individual sheets of butcher paper or parchment slightly overlap two tortillas per taco. Add a scoop of SPAM, some pineapple, and a squirt of crema if using.
- Season to taste with hot sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe that Cleans Out the Fridge
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner