- Serves 4
After a whole summer of experimenting with bread I finally reached the point at which I am quiet sure to be eating fresh baked bread every morning. This is one of the recipes I came up with as a healthy every day bread. —Janneke Verheij
What You'll Need
whole wheat flour
all purpose flour
luke warm water
package yeast (7gram)
seeds (sesame, sunflower, poppy)
- Empty the package of yeast in 200 ml of water, add honey and stir with a wooden spoon to dissolve. Let this mixture stand until the yeast becomes active and crawls out of the cup. In the meantime put the whole wheat flour in a wide bowl, add the salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir shortly until you have a porridge like substance. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for one hour or until doubled in size.
- The mixture has grown and looks all bubbly and full of air. Press it back with your wooden spoon, and work it into a ball, still with the spoon. Add a handful of 00 flour and mix until incorporated in the mixture. Continue this until the mixture is to hard to handle with the spoon, then change to your hands. Fold, press and knead the dough for about ten minutes into flexible and soft dough. Continue to add flour until it is not sticky anymore. Dust a baking tray with polenta or flour, form the dough in a ball and place on the tray.
- Cover with the damp cloth and set aside for another hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. about 10 minutes up front. Beat an egg with a little bit of water. Brush it lightly with the egg wash and cover with the seeds, let the bread stand for another 10 minutes before placing it in the oven. Be gentle, don’t slam the door on it, we don’t want to lose all the air and softness we build up in the second rise. The egg wash will give the bread its shiny crust and will also work as glue for the seeds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely tanned. Check if the bread is ready by knocking on the bottom, the sound should be hollow. Let it cool down on a rack.