Author Notes: Because my husband loves sauces and I wanted a lighter version of aioli for corn and crab fritters, I came up with the following recipe, no huge changes from other aioli recipes, lighter with a touch of my ground red pepper flakes and a teaspoon or two of my favorite orange juice from Cara Cara oranges.
Equipment, the whisk attachment on the stick blender, moments to make.
whole egg + 1 yolk
teaspoon Dijon mustard
cup mild olive oil
teaspoon lemon juice
teaspoons juice from a Cara Cara orange
small cloves of garlic
teaspoons kosher salt
pinches of ground red pepper flakes
- Egg and pressed garlic in the stick blender jar, whisk for several seconds on medium low speed, slightly thickened, slowly add the oil until you get a smooth thick aioli.
- Place in serving bowl and sprinkle a little ground red pepper.
- Keep in mind that I didn't want to overwhelm the crab flavor or fresh corn in the fritters, but you can certainly adjust any of the ingredients to suit your own taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Aioli