If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A Purim favourite, Hamantaschen is a delicious pastry named after Haman's three-cornered hat. Though yeasted and cream cheese doughs can be used, I prefer Pâte sucrée (a sweet pastry for tarts) which is similar to a sablé or butter cookie. —olinsloan
ounces (2/3 cup or 150 g) unsalted butter, softened
ounces (100 g) granulated (caster) or confectioners (icing) sugar
ounce (3/8 cup or 30 g) ground almonds
large egg or 2 egg yolks and 2 t orange blossom water, milk, rum or water
of 1 orange or lemon, grated or 1/2 t (2.5 ml) vanilla essence
ounces (250 g) pastry flour or plain flour, sifted
- In an electric mixer blend together until smooth the butter, caster or icing sugar, ground almonds and salt.
- Add the eggs or 2 egg yolks and 2 t orange blossom water, milk, rum or water, lemon zest or vanilla and mix.
- Add the the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least an hour.
pâte sucrée (use recipe above)
batch apricot or prune lekvár (use food52 recipe search to find my recipe) or mohn (poppyseed), cheese or walnut filling or pastry cream
egg and 1 egg yolk or 1-2 tablespoons milk or water
- Divide the dough into 2 or 3 flattened discs and work with one portion at a time. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board to a thickness of 1/8 inch (3-4 mm), cut into 3 inch (8 cm) rounds and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (160 C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Brush each round with egg wash. Fill with a generous teaspoonful of the desired filling; do not overfill or the pastries will leak. Draw 3 sides of each round together into the centre and pinch the corners together so that the Hamantaschen are triangular in shape.
- Brush the pastries with egg wash. Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden. Transfer to racks to cool.
- Note: The Hamantaschen can also be baked at 350 F (180 C) for 15-20 minutes or at 375 F (190 C) for 10-15 minutes.