If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This roll-cookie recipe is easy to make ahead and store in the freezer and the hazelnut and gianduja elevate it from a simple chocolate chip cookie into something decadent. Valrhona and other premier chocolatiers make gianduja chocolate, which is a milky hazelnut flavored chocolate similar to Nutella. If you can't find gianduja, you can use a milk chocolate (I would recommend Valrhona or El Rey, since they don't taste waxy) but it won't quite taste the same. If you've never had gianduja, this is a great way to show it off. —Lu
Makes 36 cookies, approx.
- 1.5 cups hazelnuts
- 8 ounces soft unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup 1T granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 cups chopped gianduja chocolate
- Toast hazelnuts at 275 degrees Fahrenheit until they are a light caramel color and have begin to release oils. Leave aside to cool. If they still have their papery skins, you can remove these by placing the warm hazelnuts in a cloth towel and rubbing/squeezing the towel between your hands. Chop nuts when they are cool and set aside.
- Cream soft butter and sugars together in a mixer on medium low or by hand until sugar is well incorporated.
- Sift salt, baking soda and flour together.
- Scrape down mixing bowl before proceeding.
- Add vanilla extract to egg and yolk, then pour into the bowl and beat to blend in.
- Add dry mixture and beat until blended in.
- Fold in hazelnuts and chocolate and stir to incorporate.
- Shape the dough into rolls about 1 inch thick and chill for an hour, minimum.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 and slice the cookie rolls into 1-1 1/2 inch thick cookies.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook, rotating halfway, 8-10 minutes or until bottom is set and cookie has browned. Cookie will be soft but fully cooked.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cookie