Author Notes: From the "top of the shop" spices, to the luscious sauce, this is one of the original one pot meals! —lorigoldsby
Serves: 4 - 6
chicken thighs or legs
teaspoon each of ground cardamom, cinnamon (or 1 stick), coriander, cumin, paprika
teaspoons each of ginger and tumeric
small onion, large dice
carrots, bite sized chunks
large green olives
ounces can of fire roasted tomatoes
ounces marcona almonds
cup olive oil
- In tagine, mix olive oil and spices. Drop in chicken thighs and toss to coat. Drain any excess oil, spread out evenly within bowl.
- Add onion, carrots, olives and almonds.
- Thickly slice lemon, add coarse kosher salt and rub into their membranes with back of a spoon. (this is a cheat/shortcut to having preserved lemon)
- add canned tomatoes into reservoir as space allows. Any extra room-add chicken broth or wine. Cover with lid, bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
- Serve with couscous--often you can add it directly to the pot, allow to set for 20 min or according to package directions.. Can sub chicken thighs for one small lamb leg.