If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Who hasn't heard at least the chorus from the famous Harry Nilsson song, "Coconut?" Well he was onto something. Coconut and lime are a delicious combination whether you squeeze some lime into fresh coconut water in the tropics or you make a lime and coconut sorbet float on a hot summer day. - hardlikearmour —hardlikearmour
Food52 Review: Hardlikearmour's Lime in the Coconut Float is my new favorite drink. The lemongrass and lime-infused syrup is so well balanced and flavorful I wanted to drink it by itself. When added to the lime juice and seltzer, it is a refreshing and delicious drink, and the addition of the coconut sorbet put it over the top. I was instantly transported to the tropics imagining myself with a fresh coconut and a wedge of lime while resting on a hammock. The infused syrup is so good I added more to the soda for a stronger flavor. One wasn't enough -- the second one I made later that day involved coconut/pineapple ice cream and was also amazing. At my next gathering this lovely drink will definitely be on the menu. As a matter of fact, I thought it was so good I made another batch so I wouldn't run out. This is a simple and delicious float that I will make over and over again. Absolutely wonderful!!! - sdebrango —sdebrango
Makes about 2/3 cup syrup; enough for at least 6 floats
For the Lemongrass & Lime Syrup
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 2 limes
- 4 ounces water (1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces sugar (1/2 cup plus 1 T)
- Thinly slice lemongrass and set aside. With a vegetable peeler remove the lime zest in strips trying to avoid getting much white pith. Set aside. Juice the limes and set juice aside for making the soda.
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat on high, stirring or swirling occasionally to dissolve sugar until it boils. Boil for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemongrass and lime zest, cover with a tight fitting lid, and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour through a mesh strainer into a glass jar. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Lime in the Coconut Float
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 tablespoons lemongrass & lime syrup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 scoops coconut sorbet (about 1/2 cup total)
- seltzer, cold
- Combine syrup and lime juice in a 12-oz glass. Add sorbet. Slowly pour seltzer over the sorbet, it with froth up pretty fiercely. Stir gently after glass is about 2/3 full. Continue to slowly fill glass with seltzer. Serve immediately with a straw.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Daytime Drinks
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe