Author Notes: Put the kids to bed and whip out your beer mugs. This float’s for grown-ups only. It’s inspired by my Fudgy Chocolate Stout Cake, of which the batter is bowl-licking deliciousness. As much fun as it is to lick that bowl clean, I decided to develop a slightly less embarrassing delivery system in the form of an ice cream float. It’s got a nice balance of flavors and tastes – sweet, bitter, creamy, caramel, mocha. I’m definitely not the first person to stick ice cream in their Guinness, but this is some serious yummy stuff. —mrslarkin
large beer mugs
tablespoons chocolate syrup, divided
ounces espresso or strong brewed coffee, cooled, divided
teaspoon vanilla extract, divided (optional)
pint premium chocolate ice cream
12-ounce bottle Guinness Extra Stout
Unsweetened whipped cream
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup around the insides of each mug.
- Pour an ounce of coffee in each mug.
- Add ¼ teaspoon vanilla to each mug. Swish the mugs around a few times.
- Next, add a couple scoops ice cream to each mug.
- Angle your beer mug and slowly pour in half a bottle of stout into each mug. Easy does it. It will foam up.
- You might have to take a sip to make room for the whipped cream. Top your mug with whipped cream. Insert straw. Sip. Grab a long-handled spoon and dig in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer