Author Notes: This is my sister’s go-to recipe for a fast lunch at work, or for packing up for a long flight from New York to Los Angeles, when she and her family are coming to visit.
I tasted the leftovers and adopted the recipe. Now I make them with many different fillings.
This dish is portable, and it is very convenient to take to work, on a picnic, or for a trip. —Kukla
Red salmon filling:
12 plane, stale mini bagels
2 cups milk
2 cups caned red salmon, drained
1 medium white onion (fine diced)
2 hard-boiled eggs (fine diced)
3/4 cup prepared mayonnaise mixed with juice and zest of 1 large lemon and 2 teaspoons fresh dill (chopped)
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes filling:
• 4 Bratwurst or Italian sausages, casings removed
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (if very dry, soaked in hot water and drained first)
• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 large egg beaten
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- In a large glass baking dish lay out the bagels in one layer. Pour the milk over the bagels and soak them until puffed. Turn bagels a few times or press down. Meanwhile make the filling. In a mixing bowl steer eggs, onion, mayonnaise until well combined.
- To make the sausage filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring occasionally, and breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add onion; cook stirring, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and parsley. Transfer to a plate; let cool to room temperature. Mix in the beaten egg to bind the filling.
- To assemble with red salmon filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray, and lay out the bagels. In the center mount 1 heaping tablespoon salmon mixture and sprinkle with cheese. If not using cheese, cover the filling with about 1 teaspoon mayonnaise or bread crumbs sautéed in butter. Bake for about 10- 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- To assemble with Sausage filling: In the center mount 1 heaping tablespoon Sausage mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 10- 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food