If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been working on a series of blogs this summer that showcases the farmers of the Green City Market in Chicago, IL, and their products. This past weekend I bought some delicious English-style back-bacon from the market and have been cooking away with it. I happened to make a "quick" dough grilled pizza this week. It's super crispy and sweet crust make it a perfect little meal on the run. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 1 pizza
For the Pizza Dough
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 packet active yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices back-bacon
- 1 1/2 cups smoked Gouda cheese (grated)
- 1 cup cilantro (loosely packed, no stems)
- 1/2 cup honey habanero aioli (recipe link http://www.food52.com/recipes/12125honeyhabaneroaioliburgerswithpickled_onions)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- For the pizza dough, dissolve the yeast and sugar into the warm water in a small bowl or measuring glass. Let sit for 5 minutes to foam up a bit. While yeast is sitting, combine salt and flour in a large bowl.
- Pour the water and yeast into the bowl with flour and work together with hands. Once combined, move to a floured surface and knead until dough forms a smooth ball. If dough is too dry, wet hands with cool water. If too wet, keep adding flour. Place dough in a clean dry bowl, covered by a wet kitchen towel. Let sit for 15-20 minutes in a warm place.
- While dough is rising, prep the other ingredients. Start by frying up the back-bacon. Heat skillet over medium-high heat and add a dash of olive oil (to make sure there is enough grease for the dough later). Fry the bacon for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove bacon and cut up into little pieces. Don't discard the bacon grease! Leave it in the pan to coat the pizza crust later.
- Heat grill or grill pan over high heat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Dough should rise fairly quickly and be ready after 20 minutes. On a floured surface, knead the whole piece of dough out. Brush one side of the dough with the leftover bacon grease and throw it on the grill. Brush the other side with bacon grease, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook both sides for 3 minutes and remove onto a cutting board or counter. Spread a layer of honey habanero aioli over the crust. Next add the cilantro and the cheese. Add the pieces of bacon to the top.
- Place the pizza back on the grill for 5 minutes. Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake for 5 minutes to make sure the cheese gets nice and melty, or put it under a broiler for 2 minutes for crispier cheese. Both variations are delicious.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food