If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was insired by two things. When I was a kid and I would go to visit my Grandparents, in the freezer there would always be a container of Rocky Road ice cream. It was my favorite flavor. Heck, it still is my favorite flavor. The second thing that inspired me comes from the area we live in. Every summer there are four big street festivals here. When we go to these we do our best to avoid all the traditional greasy fatty foods that beacon us. But always at the end of the day we find ourselves headed back to the car with a large bag of freshly popped kettle corn in our arms. What can I say? It's tradition. So for this recipe I decided to combine two of my favorite snacks into one. It's a new take on street food. - Dabblings —Dabblings
Food52 Review: I have to admit -- I've never had rocky road ice cream. That being said, I am sure I would love it, because this whimsical treat is delicious and addictive. The chocolate coating is full of flavor from the coffee, cinnamon, and cayenne. The combination of popcorn, almonds, marshmallows, and chocolate is simultaneously salty, sweet, spicy -- and sticky! Like any good fair food, you definitely get your fingers dirty. Unlike most fair food, though, this rocky road popcorn is light and airy. Try not to eat it all in one sitting! - forester_lady —Brianne Du Clos
Makes 10-12 cups
- 8 cups freshly popped popcorn; no salt (I popped 1/3 cup of kernals)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted almonds; chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Oil two 10x14 baking dishes.
- Place popcorn and chopped almonds into a large bowl and set them aside. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup, cocoa powder, instant espresso powder, cinnamon, salt, cayenne pepper, and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for two minutes, until the sugar is melted. Stir in the vanilla, then pour the mixture over the popcorn and almonds. Mix it up until everything is evenly coated. Spread the popcorn into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and mix in the mini marshmallows. Allow to come to room temperature. Break it into small clumps, and store in an airtight container.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
More Great Recipes: Desserts