If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every summer I make jars of fruit syrups and love adding herbs that compliment the fruit and berries. One of my favorites is the combination of blackberry and basil. Not only is this great in drinks but it makes a great ice cream also. —sdebrango
Serves 4-6 (depends on serving size)
- Blackberry Basil Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Blackberries
- 9 Basil Leaves
- 1 cup Sugar (If blackberries are really sweet decrease sugar by 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 1/4 cups Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Blackberry basil syrup
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup good blackberry jam to swirl or you can reduce the blackberry basil syrup by half so that it's jam like.
- For the Blackberry Basil Syrup: To a medium saucepan add your blackberries, sugar, water and 8 basil leaves. On high heat bring to a boil, then reduce to med/high and let cook for 20 minutes Only stir after all the sugar has dissolved. Take off flame and let it cool to room temperature.Pour through a sieve pressing the blackberries until just about all thats left is the seeds and a little pulp. Pour into a jar add a basil leaf and refrigerate.
- Heat your cream and milk over med/high heat until its hot but not boiling. Whisk your egg yolks with the sugar until thick and light yellow. Slowly add the hot cream/milk to the eggs whisking constantly. Pour back into the saucepan and cook on medium heat stirring constantly until it reaches a temperature of 170-175 or coats the back of a wooden spoon leaving a trail when you run your finger on the spoon. Remove from heat and place in ice bath to start the cooling process when cooled add the blackberry syrup and vanilla. Cover and chill in the refrigerator it should be very cold before you put in ice cream maker.
- When custard is cooled add to your ice cream maker following manufacuterers instructions, spoon some of the ice cream into your container, add some blackberry jam by the spoonfull, now another layer of ice cream and another of jam, end with ice cream layer. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours or longer, should be scoopable. You don't have to swirl the jam into the ice cream just layer it and when you scoop it will be swirled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream