Author Notes: This is one of the easiest desserts I've ever made. The recipe is a little quirky, and you must follow it to the letter, or you'll lose the sinful truffle texture that results.
What a marvelous cake to have in your repertoire! It takes no longer to make two or three than it does to make one. It's a good idea to make multiples since not only is it utterly delicious, but you can keep it (when properly wrapped) up to 4 months in your freezer. [I know this is so because I "found" one in my freezer after that long, and served it successfully.
The smarty-pants trick that ensures the truffley goodness of this cake is you MUST include the 1 1/2 teaspoons of flour in the recipe. You can use regular all-purpose flour, or go gluten free with chestnut or garbanzo bean flour, like I do, but don't leave it out. —ChefJune
Serves: 8 to 12
ounces best quality semisweet chocolate
cup unsalted butter
teaspoons garbanzo bean flour
teaspoon hot water
large eggs, separated
teaspoons superfine sugar (you can whirl it in your food processor)
teaspoon fine sea salt
Whipped cream for topping
Unsweetened cocoa for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease the bottom (only) of an 8-inch springform pan. (Yes, it must be 8-inches.)
- Melt chocolate and butter in the top of double boiler over simmering water. When melted, transfer into a bowl, and add flour, water, and blend well. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Beat egg whites until very frothy. Add the sugar and continue beating until they are stiff and shiny, but not dry. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into pan and bake for 15 minutes, ONLY! The cake will look very undone in the center.
- 4. Cool. Whip cream until soft peaks form. Spread a very thick layer over top of cake, smoothing with spatula. Shake unsweetened cocoa through a sieve over the whipped cream. Use a doily to make a design on the whipped cream if you wish. Cut the cake while cold, but let it stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Now and Later
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique