Author Notes: This is an unbelieveable easy and delicious recipe. Make it in bulk and freeze portions. It happens to be from a paleo diet inspiration, but it is awesome with rice, in tortillas, etc. —jwolfsthal
Serves: a lot
chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
cups chopped onion
tablespoons oilve oil
tablespoons chili powder
hot peppers (to taste, optional)
jar Salsa Verde
cup water, or enough to just cover chicken
- add olive oil and brown chicken thighs, skin side down in batches - transfer to plate until all are done. save drippings.
- leave 2 tbsp chicken fat in dutch oven (or pot if transferring to crock pot) and add onions and garlic, sautee until soft.
- return chicken and drippings to dutch oven or transfer everything to crock pot.
- add insalsa verde and enough water to cover. for dutch oven cover and place in 275 degree oven for 3-4 hours. For crock pot, set on low and cook for hours until meat is falling off the bones.
- remove chicken and let cool. remove and discard bones and skin. Shred chicken and return to sauce. Cook down to desired consistency and serve.
- serving options include: 1) over rice 2) in tortillas 3) in lettuce wraps 4) as burrito filling 5) drained as empanada filling 6) as enchillada filling.