Author Notes: These brownies are inspired by the Salted Caramel Brownies in Baked Explorations. They are not salted and do not have any caramel. But the idea of putting something sweet between 2 layers of batter inspired me.
If you don't have a kitchen scale, you can use 1 to 1 1/4 cups of an all-purpose gluten free blend and 1 tablespoon of flax (unless your blend is Jules Nearly Normal Flour and has a binding agent already added). You will have to see just how your flour absorbs the in the mixture - you don't want too much flour.
There is a total weight of 5.25 ounces of flour, it is 60% grains and 40% starches. Flax is used in place of a gum (guar or xantham). —frannycakes
for the jam
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled & finely diced
- 1/4 cup strawberry liquor
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
for the brownie batter
- 11 ounces dark chocolate (60-70% cocoa), chopped
- 8 ounces unslated butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- .35 ounces ground flax
- 1.5 ounces sorghum flour
- .7 ounces brown rice flour
- .7 ounces white rice flour
- 1 ounce tapioca starch
- 1 ounce sweet white rice flour
- 1.5 cups sugar
- ,5 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- Make the jam: Combine strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, water & strawberry liquor in a medium size sauce pan. Heat over meadium – high heat, stirring frequently until the jam starts to thicken, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, and then grease the parchment paper.
- On a low burner, melt together chocolate & butter. While chocolate is melting, whisk together flours, cocoa and salt.
- Once chocolate & butter have melted, turn off the burner but leave the pot in place. Stir in both the granulated sugar and the brown sugar.
- Remove pot from burner and stir in 3 eggs. DO NOT BEAT. Once eggs are combined, add in remaining eggs, stirring until just combined.
- Sprinkle flour over the bowl and stir in slowly. Make sure most lumps are out – but it is ok if there are still a few, they should disappear when baking.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan & smooth with a spatula. Spread in the warm jam, being careful to keep it away from the edges so that it does not burn. Pour the remaining batter on top to cover the jam.
- Bake for 35 minutes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gluten-Free Baked Good