This cake is a favorite of my friend Nelly’s family.
She usually makes the meringues just with egg whites, vanilla and sugar.
The Walnuts, orange zest in the meringues and the coffee in the butterscotch cream and Coconut Flakes are my additions.
I have to admit that Nelly’s cake looks a lot more like a tower as mine looks more like tower ruins, but it is still an original and delicious cake.
8 to 10
For the Walnut meringues batter:
• 3 cups toasted, cooled and finely grounded walnut halves
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 2 large egg whites
• 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Pinch of kosher salt
For the Coffee- Butterscotch Cream:
• 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk (cooked in a pot of simmering water for 1,5 hours and cooled to room temperature).