If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When you try this tuna salad, you will never use canned or even good quality jarred tuna again. What deference! The fresh oil, lemon juice and zest and seasonings in the marinade, and pickles, give this salad a delicious and piquant taste. To use the pickles, I learned from a colleague of mine.
The small amount of mayonnaise enables this salad stay fresh for a longer time.
You also might substitute pickles with capers preserved in vinegar.
We had a picnic for Fathers Day at our daughters’ backyard and I served the salad in the same container in which I transported it and we ate it just from salad plates, but if your picnic is not so close to home, sandwiches or wraps will work better.
• 1 pound fresh Sushi grade or Yellow Fin tuna (2 center cut about 2/3-inches thick slices)
• 1/2 cup pure olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper ( to taste)
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
• 1 teaspoon Herb de Provence
• 3 hard boiled eggs (chopped the size you like)
• 3 celery stacks preferably with the leaves (thinly sliced)
• 3 medium kosher dill pickles (peeled and diced small)
• 1 bunch scallions (chopped, green and white parts)
• 1 tablespoon flat leaves parsley (chopped)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise (thinned out with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice)
- In a glass baking dish combine olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt and black pepper, red pepper flakes and Herb de Provence.
- Place tuna slices onto the baking dish and turn them a few times to cover with the marinade. Leave it to marinade for as long as the oven is preheating.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. F. Bake tuna in the marinade for 20 minutes, turning ones, half time of the baking.
- Take out the tuna to a plate and cool to room temperature. Strain the marinade and add mayonnaise, whisk together until combined. This is the dressing.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the chopped ingredients. With a fork flake tuna to bite size pieces, and fold in to other ingredients; then pour the dressing (leave some to spread on the top) and carefully mix it in. Chill before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish