Author Notes: There’s no need to wait for a Spacial Holiday to enjoy this wonderful traditional
Variations of it are endless. I use some times deferent cheeses (cream cheese or Mascarpone) and also mix in Creamed Mushrooms or bite size pieces of leftover pot roast for a simple mane dish.
We cook noodles until tender to achieve pudding consistency and some times beat egg whites separately.
• 1 pound wide egg noodles
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 4 large eggs
• 2 cups whole milk smooth Farmers’ or Ricotta cheese
• 1 cup sour cream
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon flat leave parsley or basil, coarsely chopped (optional)
• Zest of 1 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook noodles in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender but not mushy. Drain well in a colander and toss with butter in a bowl.
- While noodles are cooking beat eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon until light and foamy with a mixer in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sour cream, cheese and lemon zest, while continuing beating until the mixture is homogeneous. Fold in noodles and herbs, if using.
- Transfer to a buttered deep baking dish and bake in middle of oven until firm, nicely browned and puffed, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with sour cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish