If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This pretty summertime light dessert can be made one day ahead, and just assembled before serving.
Original recipe, which I adapted from an old Bon Appétit magazine, calls for Vanilla ice cream.
I don’t have an ice cream maker that is why I make deferent fillings, which are similar in texture and visually.
You might like to use large Blood or Navel oranges for the baskets or just serve this dessert in nice glass dessert dishes.
When I made this dessert, there were a lot of leftover ingredients and I decided to make two nonalcoholic cocktails, which were delicious and refreshing.
You can see them in my picture.
For Grapefruit Baskets
- • 6 pink grapefruits
- • 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- • 3 teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- • Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- • 16 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- • 3 tablespoons coconut cream or coconut milk
- • 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, plus more to taste
- • Zest of 1 lime
- • 2 tablespoons lime juice
- • 2 tablespoons white rum or coconut flavored liqueur
- To prepare grapefruit baskets: Cut grapefruits horizontally in half. Using paring or a grapefruit knife cut all around grapefruit halves and between membranes to release segments.
- Place segments in a bowl, discarding seeds. Cut all membranes from 6 grapefruit halves; discard remaining grapefruit halves.
- Add ginger and light brown sugar to bowl with the grapefruit segments, gently toss. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Whisk cream cheese, coconut cream or coconut milk, lime zest and juice, sifted confectioners’ sugar; add rum and whisk together in a bowl until homogeneous. Refrigerate until needed.
- When ready to serve, place an ice cream scoop of coconut-lime filling in each reserved grapefruit cup. Spoon some grapefruit and ginger mixture over Coconut-Lime Filling. Garnish with mint.
- Makes 2 cocktails; 2 limes juiced, 1 large pink grapefruit juiced, 1 blood orange juiced, 3 tablespoons light agave nectar, 1/2 cup ice cubes Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, bland until ice is crushed and the cocktail is frosty. Pour into prepared glass, garnish with reserved lime slices, and serve immediately.
- Virgin Pina Colada. Makes 4 cocktails; 1/2 cup coconut cream, 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup pineapple chunks, 1 cup ice cubes Combine all ingredients in a blender, blend until well pureed. Serve immediately, garnished with a slice of pineapple.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw