Author Notes: For a while now, I’ve been considering making a millefeuille – a kind of stacked tower of ingredients. I guess I’d put it off because of my fear of all things complicated with french names – bain marie, tarte tatin….and all the rest. However, I was feeling very confident that success was close by and feeling the need to apprehend it, I got about a-thinking and decided that a chicken version would do. That was one part.
Then I thought of incorporating some Caprese ingredients of Italia -green basil, white mozzarella and red tomatoes aka pomodori. —Kitchen Butterfly
- 2 chicken breasts, fresh or thawed if frozen
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Pesto
- 12 Large or 24 smaller Basil leaves
- 16 oven-dried tomato halves (or partly sun-dried tomatoes)
- 75 – 100g Fresh Mozzarella, cut into thinnish rounds
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Prepare the chicken breast by removing the little trailing piece on the underside of the breast (usually a long strip of chicken meat hanging loosely). Slice breast lengthways into 3 slices and season
- Heat up a grill pan and when hot, grease the pan with oil.
- Place chicken and fry on both sides – 3 to 4 minutes on each side, till cooked. Remove from pan and let rest for a couple of minutes. Then set about layering . Best to do this on to your serving plate or dish.
- Place one cooked chicken slice on a plate and butter with pesto
- Place a couple of mozzarella rounds on top and layer with basil leaves and the roasted tomatoes. Repeat layer on top till a second stack is complete.
- Finish off each breast in this manner. Serve as you like…glass of white, some pasta on the side, green salad….
- Note: You could make a fish caprese millefeuile – all you need: cooked fish fillets – tilapia and seabass would be my top options. I think skinless would be great but…. Also, you could use slivers of smoked salmon in place of the chicken. To make a vegetable caprese millefeuile, grill or fry slices of aubergines or courgettes and then layer. You could also try the traditional tomato and my thoughts are that roasted/pan fried pumpkin slices would be delish!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella