Author Notes: Inspired by a dish that I had at Jaleo… —checker
Makes: 2 servings
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves
1 large bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
juice of half a lime
½ cup olive oil
salt and pepper
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade, testing and adjusting your ingredients to suit your taste.
- Place the chicken in a large zip-lock bag or container and pour in the marinade. Rub the marinade all over the chicken, and be sure the push some of it under the skin. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to cook preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and scrape most of the marinade off of the skin side. If there is any left on the underside, leave it, and you might want to think about rubbing the bits from the skin side in there as well. The goal is to have the skin clean so it can get crispy, but by all means save the flavor.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, in a cast iron skillet. Add a little water, maybe a half a cup, and put it in the oven.
- Cook until done (45-ish minutes in my oven) and allow the chicken to rest for several minutes before serving.
- Note: This is infinitely better on a grill. Same general directions apply; just prepare and cook according your grilling methods.