I got the idea for this recipe from thelunacafe.com, and it's been a crowd pleaser ever since. —Erin Jeanne McDowell
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour 45 minutes
- Makes a very full 9x13" casserole
1 1/2 pounds
pasta (680 g)
whole milk (230 g)
heavy cream (235 g)
cloves garlic, thinly sliced (25 g)
canned green chiles (567 g)
green onions, roughly chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
butter (42 g)
red onion, diced (170 g)
cloves garlic, minced (10 g)
all purpose flour (30 g)
sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (reserve 3 oz for topping) (283 g)
pepperjack cheese, grated (reserve 3 oz for topping) (283 g)
red bell pepper, diced
poblano pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups
corn kernels (150 g)
In This Recipe
- Lightly grease a 9x13" casserole dish, and preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until just tender, 6-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring the milk and cream to a simmer. Add the garlic, chiles, and green onions. Simmer gently for 2-4 minutes. Cover the pot and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Puree the mixture until smooth, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sweat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is lightly golden, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk/cream mixture and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in the cheeses (remember to save some to sprinkle on top!) until they're nice and melted.
- Add the pasta, peppers, and corn and toss well to fully coat in the sauce.
- Pour the pasta into the casserole dish, and top with the reserved cheeses. Bake in the preheated oven until the sauce is bubbly and heated through, 30-45 minutes. It can be assembled up to one day ahead and baked when ready.
I always have three kinds of hot sauce in my purse. I have a soft spot for making people their favorite dessert, especially if it's wrapped in a pastry crust. My newest cookbook, The Book on Pie, came out on November 10th, 2020, and my pie merch collaboration with Food52 is out now too: https://food52.com/shop/merchants/manifest-food52/food52-x-erin-mcdowell