I scored some awesome fresh poblano peppers at the local farmers' market, and wanted to recreate one of my favorite dishes growing up, peppers and eggs with potatoes. The poblanos are amazing, flavorful with just a little heat, and really shine here, I think. - wssmom —wssmom
Test Kitchen Notes
We all need more reasons to eat poblanos and, with eggs, red potatoes, and onions, what's not to love? The flavors come together wonderfully. I especially loved the provolone and asiago to finish. I may be a cheese hog, but the quantity of provolone (2-3 tablespoons grated), seemed a little skimpy. Caramelizing the onions and handling the peppers is a bit time-consuming, but the results are worth it. Good seasoning with salt and pepper is essential to this dish, which I would serve as an appetizer or eat most of it myself for breakfast, lunch or dinner. —Rural Eating
- Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
1 nice-sized sweet onion, sliced and sauteed in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium heat until caramelized in a tablespoon or so of butter
3 medium fresh poblano peppers, grilled on a BBQ grill until charred, then put in a paper bag for 10 minutes and then skinned, seeded and chopped
4 small red potatoes, rolled in the melted butter from the onion and microwaved for 2 minutes and then sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
a teaspoon or more to taste of fresh marjoram
salt and pepper
6 eggs, beaten with one tablespoon heavy cream
2-3 tablespoons provolone, shredded
2 tablespoons asiago, shredded
- To the onion, stir in the peppers and potatoes until nicely acquainted. Toss in the marjoram. If you think it needs it, pour in a little more olive oil and heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the veggies and saute over medium high heat, shoving the eggs towards the center as it cooks. Don't overcook because you'll broil it shortly.
- When firm on the bottom, remove from heat and top with the provolone. Slide under the broiler for a couple minutes until browned.
- Remove from heat and smack with the asiago; let cool, and slice into 4-6 portions.