If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a bowl, add flour and salt. Cut in butter until dough becomes crumbly. Slowly add water; blend until dough sticks together. Lightly knead dough forming a ball. Divide dough into two parts.
- Flatten each part into a disk, wrap in saran wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours before rolling.
- 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 1/3 cups ice water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (extra for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (extra for garnish)
- In a saucepan on stove top combine cherries, water, cornstarch, sugar, salt and lemon juice.
- Turn stove top heat to medium, bringing ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce stove top heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Cool before using as filling.
- Take prepared pastry dough out of refrigerator. On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll half of dough into large square; cut into 5 4-inch squares.
- Spread 1/3 cup pie filling on half of each square, leaving 1/2-inch margin along edges.
- Lightly brush edges with water. Fold over other half of square and seal edges with fork dipped in flour.
- Repeat with remaining dough, making 10 pies.
- In a deep fryer, filled about 4 inches high with vegetable oil, heat to 375 Degrees F. Place 2 pies in basket at a time; gently lower into oil. If you don't have a deep fryer, you can use a deep skillet and fill it half full with oil. Either way you choose to do it, fry 3 to 5 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Continue this until all 10 pies are fried.
- Sprinkle, while warm, with cinnamon and sugar.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food