Food52 Review: Dessert’s On Me’s Sea Salt and Caramel Popcorn recipe is wonderfully indulgent and so easy to put together. You could probably drizzle this quick-caramel sauce on almost anything and it would be yummy, but it really does wonders for popcorn. I would recommend adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of the salt directly to the caramel sauce for even distribution and after the popcorn comes out of the oven, you can season with a little more to taste if desired. In any case, once you try this snack, going to the fair or the movies without it won’t be the same. - Annie "Smalls" —Annie "Smalls"
Makes: 12 cups
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
For the popcorn
tablespoons canola oil
cup corn kernels
For the sea salt and caramel topping
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons unsalted butter
cup heavy cream
teaspoons vanilla extract
teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Spray sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a saucepan on stove top, add oil and corn kernels. Turn stove top heat to medium, cover saucepan with a lid left slightly a-jar.
- The corn kernels will begin to pop within a couple of minutes. Once the popping slows, almost coming to a stop, remove saucepan from stove top. Transfer popcorn to a serving bowl.
- In a saucepan on stove top, add sugar, 2 tablespoons salt, butter and cream. Turn stove top heat to medium, bringing ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue stirring for 5 minuets. Remove from stove top. Stir in vanilla and allow to cool. Pour over popcorn.
- Mix popcorn and caramel together. I found this easiest to do with my hands.
- Spread popcorn on sheet pan. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons salt. Bake on middle rack for half an hour, stirring once at 15 minutes.
- Cool and break caramel popcorn apart before serving.